- To every 500g of berry fruit allow 500g of sugar
- Put the fruit into a preserving pan and bring slowly to the boil
- Add sugar and boil quickly for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir for 20 minutes
- Place jam into sterilized jars
HINTS FOR JAM MAKING
- Always gather fruits on a fine day. It should not be over-ripe.
- Fruit should be partly cooked before sugar is added
- Bring fruit to boiling point slowly to avoid burning.
- Always use a wooden spoon for stirring.
- When sugar is added, boil as rapidly as possible. Rapid boiling improves the colour and flavor of the jam.
- Instead of skimming jam, stir in a piece of butter the size of a walnut when jam is cooked.
- To test Jam, put a little on a saucer. When cool a skin should form on top.
- Jam jars must be sterilized and thoroughly dry.
- Put the jam into warm jars and cover while hot.